Sherline 4400 – 3.5 Inch x 17 Inch Lathe
If you are interested in a lathe with more distance between centers, the model 4400/4410 is the one for you! Several upgrades are included in the purchase price.
Standard equipment is the same as on the model 4000 (4100 metric) which includes:
- 90 VDC motor with electronic speed controller
- 2.75″ (70mm) x 6.0″ (152mm) crosslide
- 24″ (610mm) bed that has 17″ (431mm) between centers
- 2.5″ (63mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the leadscrew
- Two 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheels on the crosslide
- Feed screw and a rocker tool post (P/N 3057) substituted for the standard tool post used on the shortbed lathes
- Standard 1-5/8″ (41mm) laser engraved aluminum handwheels
- Pulleys, belt, faceplate, lathe dog and two dead centers
- Three hexagonal keys
- Tool post
- Sharpened high-speed steel cutting tool
- Eight foot three-wire power cord
- Instruction booklet
The electronic speed control allows continuously variable speed control from 70 to 2800 RPM without belt changes. There is a second pulley position available that offers extra torque at low RPM if needed.
Many machinists find that the extra space between centers comes in handy when working with a part held in a chuck and a larger tailstock chuck with a long drill bit in place. The combination of chucks, part and drill can eat up a lot of the available center-to-center distance, and a little extra capacity is often appreciated.
This lathe offers the same diameter turning capacities as the shorter lathe and same powerful motor/speed control. The differences are both the extra 9” of center distance and the addition of extras like the adjustable zero handwheels and rocker toolpost, making this lathe a good value for the extra cost.
[su_button url=”http://www.vcshobbies.com/blog/sherline-lathe-documentation/” background=”#f7921c” center=”yes” class=”vcshobbies-button”]Click Here For Instructions[/su_button]