Sherline 2.5 Inch 4 Jaw Chuck (Independent) 3/4 x 16 Thread 1044
4 Jaw Chuck (Independent)
Four-jaw chucks have four advantages over three-jaw chucks.
- Useful for holding irregularly shaped parts
- With the use of a dial indicator, center parts with a great deal of accuracy
- Useful for deliberately holding a part off-center
- They can clamp stock tighter
This is a valuable asset when machining cams, crankshafts, and similar parts. The main disadvantage of the 4-jaw independent chuck is that the jaws must be individually set, adding considerable time to setups.
Like the Sherline 3-jaw chucks, the 4-jaw chucks can be used to clamp either externally or internally. Although we recommend the 3-jaw chuck for standard lathe projects, the 4-jaw chuck is considered the accessory that could add the most versatility to your machine. If you feel the 4-jaw chuck would be more useful, and you have no need for the 3-jaw chuck, any lathe “A” package can be ordered with the 4-jaw chuck substituted for the 3-jaw upon request. A clamping groove allows the chuck to hold parts for milling.
Chucks for Sherline and Other Lathes
The chuck is available in several spindle threads for use on Sherline (3/4-16) and other machines such as old Unimat lathes (12mm x 1mm and 14mm x 1mm) or Sears 6″ lathes (1/2-20)
Like the Sherline 3-jaw chucks, the 4-jaw chucks clamp either externally or internally. The spindle thread for this 2.5″ chuck is 3/4-16 to Sherline branded machines.
A hex key will tighten each jaw individually. Tommy bars are used in the holes in the side to tighten and loosen the chuck for more leverage. A groove is around the base of the chuck so that angle clamps can mount it to the table of a mill as a holding fixture.
- Chuck Diameter: 2.5″
- Jaw Capacity: With jaws in normal position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 1-3/16″ (30mm). With jaws in reverse position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 2-1/4″ (56mm)
- Through Hole Diameter: .687″ (17mm)
- Thread Size (each sold separately): P/N 1044 – 3/4-16 (fits Sherline), P/N 1071 – 12mm x 1mm (fits Unimat SL 1000), P/N 1073 – 1/2-20 (fits Old Sears 6″ Lathes), P/N 1035 – 14mm x 1mm (fits Unimat 3 or Cowells)
- Chuck Body Material: 12L14 Steel
- Chuck Jaws Material: 12L14 Case Hardened Steel