Sherline Deluxe Mill Package CNC Ready 5400A-CNC
Deluxe Mill Package CNC Ready
You can order any Sherline mill with stepper motor mounts factory installed in place of the handwheels and ready for the application of stepper motors and computer numeric controls (CNC). Sherline supplies the mounts, and several aftermarket suppliers offer motors, drivers, and software to complete the CNC system. You supply the 486 or better computer.
Sherline recommends using dual shaft stepper motors. This is for the application of handwheels to the rear shaft for manual control. With that in mind, handwheels for each axis come with the machine. although they cannot be used until stepper motors are installed. Sherline also offers high-quality stepper motors, which can be found in the accessories section of this site.
New Mill Features
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z-axis to help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew
Standard equipment for the mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 12″ base
- The handwheels are included and can be mounted to the end of the stepper motors to maintain manual control when needed.* 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
*NOTE: CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually until stepper motors are installed.
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Headstock spacer block
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
The Deluxe Mill Package CNC Ready Includes:
- Step block hold-down set
- 5/32″ Sherline hex T-driver
- 3-piece center drill set
- Fly cutter w/carbide bit
- 3-piece mill collet set w/drawbolt
- 6-piece 3/8″ 2-flute double-ended end mill set (4-flute set may be substituted depending on availability)
- 3/8″ end mill holder
- Milling vise
- Sherline Accessories Shop Guide book
**PLEASE NOTE CNC READY MACHINES DO NOT INCLUDE COMPUTER, STEPPER MOTORS OR CONTROLLER. YOU CAN PURCHASE THEM SEPARATELY.**
Improve Your CNC Control
Upgrade any of your current Sherline CNC machines with Sherline’s new controller powered by MASSO and add a 4th-axis to your controller system with a CNC rotary table. This upgrade is optional and you can purchase it separately. Please contact us for more information.
The MASSO controller allows you to write your CNC programs on your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.) and then transfer your program to the controller via a USB flash drive. No more having to use a dedicated operating system like Linux to control your machine.
- Controls the spindle speed with g-code: Analog spindle speed control has been standard on Sherline machines, but now they have new technology on the board that controls the spindle speed using g-code rather than using an adjustable dial.
- Adds an optical encoder to Sherline machines: MASSO designed a compact optical encoder for Sherline. As a result, this encoder design fits perfectly with their machine and their accessories
- Does single-point threading
- Has an accurate RPM readout
- Limits switches
- Homing ability for each axis
- WiFi communication
- Regular software upgrades: The Masso software is continually improving, and it is extremely easy to upgrade.