Sherline 3.1 Inch 4-Jaw ER-16 Independent Chuck 1032
4-Jaw ER-16 Independent Chuck, 3.1 Inch
Now offering Sherline’s 3.1″ 4-jaw self-centering chucks with a 22 x 1.5 mm threaded hole for use on Sherline’s optional ER-16 spindle nose. They can also be used with certain other ER-16 spindles that use the 22 x 1.5mm thread for the collet nut.
These chucks have four advantages over 3-jaw chucks.
- Useful for holding irregularly shaped parts
- With the use of a dial indicator, center parts with a great deal of accuracy
- Useful for deliberately holding a part off-center
- They can clamp stock tighter
This is a valuable asset when machining cams, crankshafts and similar parts. The main disadvantage of the 4-jaw independent chuck is that the jaws must be set individually, adding considerable setup time. The jaws are reversible to accommodate larger stock.
Like the Sherline 3-jaw chucks, the 4-jaw chucks can be used to clamp either externally or internally. Although we recommend the 3-jaw chuck for standard lathe projects, the 4-jaw chuck is considered the accessory that could add the most versatility to your machine. If you feel the 4-jaw chuck would be more useful, and you have no need for the 3-jaw chuck, any lathe “A” package can be ordered with the 4-jaw chuck substituted for the 3-jaw upon request. A clamping groove allows the chuck to hold parts for milling.
For those who have jobs where speed and ease of use are more important than maximum accuracy and want a chuck that is loose right from the start (No extra charge). Please email us and indicate “loose jaws” when you order.
- Chuck Diameter: 3.1″
- Jaw Capacity: With jaws in normal position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 1-1/2″ (38mm). With jaws in reverse position: 1/4″ (6mm) – 2-3/4″ (70mm)
- Through Hole Diameter: .687″ (17mm)
- Thread Size: ER-16
- Chuck Body Material: 12L14 Steel
- Chuck Jaws Material: 12L14 Case Hardened Steel