Sherline CNC Lathe Upgrade Kit with High-Torque Stepper Motors (no computer) 8766
CNC Lathe Upgrade Kit with High Torque Stepper Motors
LATHE NOT INCLUDED – you must purchase separately!
If you wish to purchase a Sherline CNC lathe, but you want to use your own computer and software instead of Sherline’s computer with pre-loaded LinuxCNC software, this package makes it easier. Here’s what you do:
1. Order the CNC-ready lathe of your choice.
2. Order this kit (4-axis driver box and connecting cables plus power supply and 2 High-Torque Stepper Motors).
3. Supply your own computer and monitor.
The 8766 kit includes Sherline’s P/N 8760 4-axis driver box in addition to a power supply plus two P/N 67126 stepper motors. Plug the 25-pin parallel cable (included) from the driver box to the printer port of your computer. Attach the stepper motors to the stepper motor mounts on the crosslide and leadscrew of your Sherline CNC-ready lathe and plug the X and Z cables from the driver box to the stepper motors. Once you select and install your own control software, you are ready to go.
Complete instructions available on our website.
ATTENTION: This is a new high-torque stepper motor and as a result requires a special CNC coupling (sold separately)
NOTE: If you want a complete plug-and-play system with a lathe, computer, and driver ready to run, please contact us.
Included Components with the CNC Upgrade Lathe Kit
- Driver box with 4 motor cables
- 3.7 amp, 24 volt power supply with cord
- 25-pin parallel cable
- 2 CD set with Linux/EMC2, utilities and instructions
- Two spare fuses
- 2 High-Torque Stepper Motors
*NOTE: Even though the Sherline driver box only uses four of those axes at one time, a 2-wire serial USB port cannot transmit data to multiple axes fast enough for glitch-free CNC operation. Therefore a 25-wire parallel port is required because LinuxCNC is designed to be capable of running up to six axes simultaneously.
Minimum Computer Requirements
In order to install and run a Linux based system from the disc provided it is recommended the computer have at least the following minimum specifications:
- Processor speed: 800 MHz or faster (Pentium III class or equivalent processor)
- RAM: 512 Mb (Sherline provides 1 Gb)
- Hard Drive: 20 Gb or larger
- 25-pin parallel port (printer port)
- (Laptop computers are not recommended.)
For the most current information on hardware requirements for LinuxCNC/EMC2 please contact us.