Sherline Mill and Lathe CNC Upgrade w/High-Torque Stepper Motors (no computer) 8776
Mill and Lathe CNC Upgrade with High-Torque Stepper Motors
*MILL and LATHE ARE NOT INCLUDED – you must purchase each separately
If you wish to purchase a Sherline CNC mill, but you want to use your own computer and software instead of Sherline’s computer with pre-loaded LinuxCNC software, this package makes it easier. Here’s what you do:
1. Order the CNC-ready mill and lathe of your choice.
2. Order this kit. Includes 4-axis driver box and connecting cables plus power supply and 5 High-Torque Stepper Motors.
3. Supply your own computer and monitor.
This kit includes Sherline’s 4-axis driver box in addition to a power supply plus five high-torque stepper motors. Plug the 25-pin parallel cable (included) from the driver box to the printer port of your computer. Attach the stepper motors to the stepper motor mounts on the crosslide. Attach to the leadscrew of your Sherline CNC-ready lathe and plug the X and Z cables from the driver box to the stepper motors. Once you select and install your own control software, you are ready to go.
Complete instructions available on our website.
ATTENTION: This new high-torque stepper motor requires a special CNC coupling (sold separately)
NOTE: If you want a complete plug-and-play system with a lathe, computer, and driver ready to run please contact us
- Driver box with 4 motor cables
- 3.7 amp, 24 volt power supply with cord
- 25-pin parallel cable
- 2 CD set with Linux/EMC2, utilities and instructions
- Five spare fuses
- 5 High-Torque Stepper Motors
*NOTE: The Sherline driver box only uses four of those axes at one time. A 2-wire serial USB port cannot transmit data to multiple axes fast enough for glitch-free CNC operation. Therefore please use a 25-wire parallel port because LinuxCNC is capable of running up to six axes simultaneously.
Minimum Computer Requirements
In order to install and run a Linux based system from the disc provided it is recommended the computer have at least the following minimum specifications:
- Processor speed: 800 MHz or faster (Pentium III class or equivalent processor)
- RAM: 512 Mb (Sherline provides 1 Gb)
- Hard Drive: 20 Gb or larger
- 25-pin parallel port (printer port)
- (Laptop computers are not recommended.)
For the most current information on hardware requirements for LinuxCNC/EMC2 please contact us.